Monday, September 2, 2013

Loving Others part 2


 The Continuing Debt to Love Others

Although loans and debts are to be avoided as much as possible, borrowing from someone isn't completely prohibited by the Bible so long as 1. Interest isn't exorbitantly accrued by the lender or 2. The borrower actively pays back and intends on eliminating the debt. 
"The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is a slave to the lender." Proverbs 22:7

For sound loans, what remains is an amount that a past due amount, this often comes in the form or a bill each month. Then a monthly payment chips away the debt. I have little experience as a lender. Yet I have much experience as a borrower. As a borrower, my motivation to keep paying gets challenged as time goes on. Owing money is difficult it can be defeating and enslaving the longer it goes on. But at its origin there is a contract at stake, the validity of your word needs to be made good on. 

 "Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law." Romans 13:8

I spend so much time talking about debt because I have found this Romans 13:8 verse to be a prime motivator for me to love others by. Debt is always over me as the borrower, it is part of who I am. My promise to make good on that debt is also over me because I made a contract/covenant/promise on the debt.

It is a continuing debt. Because of Christ's example we will always have an outstanding debt of love. If I am tempted to rescind my debt to love others, I am walking away from obediently fulfilling the Law. Salvation comes with the cost of discipleship. Similarly, a love for God comes with a love for people.  



No comments: