Sunday, October 2, 2022

Grief on the go, Comfort Ye, Helping Anna, and Sprouting Goodness

Dear Prayer Warriors, 


 Grief on the Go

God instructs us (His children) to mourn with those who mourn. Thank you for those who mourn with me and my family. My mourning becomes more and more impacted by our day-to-day needs and plans. I have less time to be still by Simon’s headstone. Less time to contemplate "what are you teaching me Lord?" Less time to rest with work in full swing. But there remains much to experience in our loss of Simon and I am up for it because the Lord has seen it as good for me to endure this, and He is faithful to equip me because I have way more than I can handle right now. The memory of Simon seeps into the cracks of my days unplanned, whereas before I made room, anticipated the lamenting, the remembering, and drawing on Jesus for strength. It’s similar to the onset of light-headedness, something quickly makes me think of him, I stop what I’m doing, breathe, hold onto something and remember my lovely Simon. Even as I straighten up the arts and craft aisle at work, I welcome the memory of him and all the associations that bring him to mind. Then I thank God for Simon and how much he enjoyed making crafts and art. Lastly, the moment ends with me wondering how he would have painted this plaster T-Rex I put back in its place. It’s not a nightmare to remember Simon’s precious presence. It’s a blessing I thank God for.

 

I have grown in praise of the Lord my Shepherd who shepherded me through the trauma of Simon’s death and funeral with a steadfast faith, what grace! Amid trauma there is desperation to experience the nearness of God. I know I have been led by the Holy Spirit in this valley, He met me in my desperation and transformed that desperate longing into assurance of His Lordship over all of this.

 

Comfort Ye

Prayer warriors are near the top of fellow mourners. The Beatitudes promise that God comforts those who mourn. Therefore, I hope God uses these entries and ongoing prayer requests as comfort to those who mourn with us. Not to puff me up, but to showcase Jesus Christ as Lord over my precious family, the giver of everlasting hope, the God of all comfort. My 5 year plan now includes this verse:

 

 “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.” 2 Corinthians 1:3-7

 

Helping Anna

“In the 39th year of his reign Asa was afflicted with a disease in his feet. Though his disease was severe, even in his illness he did not seek the help from the Lord, but only from the physicians.” (2 chronicles 16:12).  This verse was a comfort to me amid Anna’s surgery this week. I am humbled to think of all the prayer that has gone into Anna and in treating her disabilities through the years. We’ve always called upon our Father before any of her physicians. There are far more prayer warriors than physicians on Anna’s case! Even so, I confess, this time around it was particularly tempting for me to not ask for prayer. The surgery was scheduled as "outpatient", I already asked for prayer ten days ago when she got that oral surgery, and I don’t want to exacerbate people of prayer with “minor” things given our journey through mourning. This verse reminds me to seek Him no matter how small I perceive Anna’s need.

 

It's hard to be with Anna on surgery days, she doesn’t hide her feelings. On arrival she is adorned with her twinkling blue eyes, smiling cheeks filled with joy, always showing the best of her ability to everyone. Her excitement cannot be appeased from all the attention she is getting. Then post surgery, she wakes with a heavy look unsure of crying or going back to sleep. Our two hour return home went smoothly. Now 48 hours out, she continues to improve, showing signs of her personality resurfacing. She is on scheduled Oxy, Advil, and Tylenol. After 3 days we will ween off of the Oxy.

 

Another challenge we didn’t see coming is that our night nurse for more than a year needed to change assignments to dayside immediately. Upon hearing the news, I just started singing Great is Thy Faithfulness and said to myself God’s got this, He sees us! Nurse Daddy in da house. I requested 3 days off of work to care for Anna during the night as she needs meds every 3 hours. I’m blessed to squeak in a little prayer update as I watch my precious daughter sleep on a monitor. Please pray for the upcoming days and nights as I start work again on Monday, and remain on night duty until the Home Health Care Company can provide another nurse for our case.


Goodness Sprouting

-Guys, let's praise God! A couple of families reached out to us and are hopeful to help with our Tuesday night date night request. We may not get to weekly right away, but praise the Lord, I am super encouraged to be backed by such care and concern.

-I witness the good sprouting up from God using us for His purpose. One of my pastors came up to me eagerly the other day and said he officiated a funeral for a person who was buried next to Simon. My pastor said that he was able to share Simon’s story with a bereaved boy who was there for burial. The boy was reading Simon’s headstone and realizing how young Simon was. I asked my pastor if he told him how much Simon loved and trusted Jesus. He said with a huge smile “Yes and that Simon is with Jesus forever.”

 

Please pray for:

-Another full time night nurse of God’s choosing who loves Anna like this last one did.

-Anna’s continued recovery that her wounds heal miraculously well.

-marital unity and communication, time for sharing our hearts and time to pray together.

-our family to be a comfort in the Lord to others one day as we have received such comfort.

-more singing unto the Lord in our home.


To God be the Glory,

 

Nic      

 

No comments: