Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Fear of the Lord pt. 3

Why did God say to Satan "Have you considered my servant Job?" (Jb 1:8)

The Lord seemingly invites Job's undoing. Does God discuss with Satan who to bring suffering on? Apparently He can if He wants to. Some brothers and sisters suffer far more than others, where's the justice of that? I fear the Lord because He has not given me the undoing and affliction of Job.

I choose to fear the Lord because if I would have Gotten what my sins deserve I should be dead by now.

If I could rename the Book of Job it would be called: Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people?

From one human to another we can praise each other as "good" and think that we are basically approved as "good." The faith error is in taking that further by assuming God praises us the way our neighbors praise us. God's version of a "good" person is Jesus and none other (Mk 10:18; Lk 18:19). 

On our own, God doesn't think us "good"; there is no good in us. We're not "good" people (Jr 17:9; Ps 53:3).  So really the question when someone says "Why does God allow bad to happen to good people?" It should be rephrased: "Why does God allow bad things happen to bad people?" 

This might sound like a contradiction because originally, God created us in His image and His creation was "good" in His sight before the fall (Gn 1:26-31). God intended us to be good. So when we do good things, we may get the accolades of others but honestly/soberly: we are simply meeting God's minimum expectation of us! 

Pop-salvation, Karmic thought, Purgatory, and even the "Test" of people by Allah of Islam are tangled up in this misunderstanding: "If my good outweighs my bad God will let me into heaven  because I'm basically good." -Nay, the good is expected of you. It in no way makes up for your bad. We need Jesus for the bad. Love covers a multitude of sins (1 Pt 4:8) -not good.  

These other beliefs would say at judgement "since my "good" outweighs my bad, it will be dropped off or forgiven. God will forgive the bad, and purify me with purgatory or just because He is forgiving." Then I can enter a holy, spotless heaven in direct communion with God. This post-life atoning makes no sense because the sacrifice pleasing God -by which He covers the bad, has already been made: Christ crucified. Which is the fulfilment of the New Covenant found (Jr 31:31-34) 

"14 For by one offering (Jesus Christ/ Lamb of God) He has perfected forever those who are sanctified. 15 The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. For after He says:
16 This is the covenant I will make with them
after those days, says the Lord:
I will put My laws on their hearts
and write them on their minds,
17 He adds:
I will never again remember
their sins and their lawless acts.
18 Now where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer an offering for sin.
19 Therefore, brothers, since we have boldness to enter the sanctuary through the blood of Jesus,20 by a new and living way He has opened for us through the curtain (that is, His flesh), 21 and since we have a great high priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed in pure water. 23 Let us hold on to the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. (Heb 10:14-23)

*I fear the Lord because He requires an offering for each sin... I am unable to produce that many offerings! My "good" words/works/acts do only what is expected of me. My wretchedness and sin can only be removed by nailing them to the cross and having faith in the Son of God, who took on my sin and died for them. This satisfied God's wrath intended for me.

No comments: