Monday, December 12, 2022

Surrendering Daily to the One in Control

 Dear Prayer Warriors,


As the spiritual leader of my family, I find myself jumpy, hesitant. Overly anticipating the next crisis. Anna gets a cough; in my flesh I think she is going to die from it. Victor starts climbing the stairs; I’m tempted to think of the worst possible tumble. Renee is fired up and acting out; I give ground into thinking what that behavior will look like when she is 15. Lindsey wants to believe God for something that I have a hard time grasping; I take a defensive stance instead of praying.

 

I have keenly assessed Satan’s tactics and stand ready to defend, which is good. But I think what is better is trusting that God is in control, that there is good around the corner, not heartbreak. God bids me rest, regroup, and celebrate the Messiah’s birth!! It’s wise to know the enemy’s tactics but my eye need not be on him, I need to keep my eyes on the King of Kings, the loving Lord.

 

Leading out of crisis, growing into a new normal, and going through the holiday season has me on high alert. Forget the cookies, I'm looking for traps. Pray that I would take God at His Word about my situation being well under His control. Pray for a verse for me to memorize to counter the temptation I’m describing. I remember Elijah after his great battle with the prophets of Bale, after praying for the rain to return, he buckles and caves into a singular threat running far away. God even asks him “what are you doing here?” In my world, losing Simon was that great battle where the Lord proved Himself faithful and able. And now these little things threaten to make me buckle and cave. May the Lord revive me as he did with Elijah. By God’s grace, He has given me enough sensitivity in my spirit to these heart matters. I need to fix my eyes on Jesus, and lay hold of the victory and joy before me. Those little battles, or footholds Satan places do not stand a chance when I place my faith in the omnipotent ruler, supreme in the spirit and physical worlds, the Lord Jesus Christ.

 

Let me share this quick story of God at work bearing in mind how preoccupied we have been in shepherding Renee through her grief: One of the few gifts of having Renee in our room with us at night is hearing her talk in her sleep. On one occasion I heard her say “I love you.” Over and over again. Two days later I overheard her say “victory in Jesus.” Twice. Kids! Here I am, Mr. Helicopter parent assuming she is dreaming up nightmares and the most pleasant peaceful utterances are coming from her. (We know the Hymn Victory in Jesus by heart ever since Victor’s birth, Simon knew it well too:) Isn’t that something praiseworthy to ponder?

 

 Praise the Lord for:

-          Renee’s words in her sleep. “Through the praise of children and infants you have established a stronghold against your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger.” Psalm 8:2

-          Emmanuel, God with us. The great fighter of my battles.

-          Extra time off of work to focus on my family.

-          Advent activities such as thinking on a name of Jesus each day and opening a mini door with chocolate behind it, have been more meaningful this year than ever before.

-          Continued grace from friends and family that check in on us and bless us

 

Please Pray for:

-          Anna’s inpatient stay for the epilepsy treatment got rescheduled to April 3rd. The hospital is full and reserved to more emergent patients. It was supposed to start today. I thank God for closing that door for us as it was a struggle to find unity regarding this.

-          Ways to honor Simon’s memory while glorifying God. Lindsey bought 2 new winter coats Simon’s size and gave them to the needy.  


Thanks for serving my family,

Nic for the Currats

No comments: