Thursday, September 22, 2011

Jeremiah 3:14-18

This is my first bite out of the dispensation apple. As I read this passage of Jeremiah, I almost flew over it with an understanding that God is still talking to a pre-exile Judah through Jeremiah. Things started getting blurry when God mentions the Ark being forgotten and not missed (verse 16) and Jerusalem becoming "Yahweh's Throne" in verse 17.

This premillennial prophecy illustrates God inviting His "faithless children"(Judah, Israel, believers both gentile or Jew, anyone He called to Himself and also "all nations"). God declares Himself as Master. Then God takes them to Zion (Jerusalem/the temple mount). Though this, God shows Himself to be the pressing owner and author of these events. It is here that a large number of devout Jews will be led by God to understand that Jesus is the Messiah they were waiting for.

At this point in my understanding I venture to say that Jesus will be throned in Zion and His 1000 year reign on earth starts.

Jeremiah 3:16-18 goes on to describe life under Christ's reign for His children Israel. Once assembled in Zion, God gives His people knowledge and skill through "loyal shepherds".

Those gathered will:
1 "multiply and increase"V16
2 "No one will remember or miss it (the Ark of the Covenant)." V16
3 "Jerusalem will be called "Yahweh's Throne" and all the nations will be gathered to it." V17
4 "They will cease to follow the stubbornness of their evil hearts." V18
5 Israel and Judah will return to the land God gave their ancestors to inherit.

As I look at the list above I praise God that He has mastery of me. I am not currently living as if I was in the millennial reign of Jesus but there is similar fruit.

Because of Jesus:
1 my life has increased in abundance I never thought possible.
2 I have traded the Sinaitic Covenant for the New Covenant freedom made in Christ's atoning sacrifice.
3 I "enter boldly" into the throne room of God through prayer.
4 I have a heart of flesh desiring purification and circumcision.
5 I have faith in the completion of God's promises to His people.

No comments: