Sunday, January 8, 2012

Holy Heavenly Father

I found myself riverside on the Chicago river. The river was still, perfect to gaze at the reflection of branches on this mild winter day. I was lonesome but seeking after God. I thought about the Lord's prayer and how and why it started the way it did. "Our father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name." upon further reflection, I personalized it and rendered my own translation: Our Holy Heavenly Father.

As I meditated on this I started slowly repeating it over and over. Making each word count, searching in my mind for the most fitting definition for the words "Holy", "Heavenly", and "Father". I inhaled and exhaled between each word. I got good synonyms for Father and Holy. But I noticed that calling God heavenly was new to me -That is His address, His home, da crib.

I always believed he was heavenly but never knew what that implies. It means that earth is not His dwelling place. Before I could despair, I remembered the next line. Jesus prays for God to come to earth: "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done." Its almost as if God visits His creation only when asked to.

So I continued meaningfully repeating "Holy Heavenly Father" in the stillness of bare trees, brown leaves, graffittied rocks and littered shore line. I was inviting God's presence to join me. Progressively I noticed little sparrows landing in the trees across the river chirping to their hearts content. Soon I was sky was flooded with bird chirps all around me. I got the chills and prayed for His will for my life. Creation is eager to bring glory to God. Especially me.

No comments: