Friday, November 9, 2018

Caring for the Lame and Elderly





FB_IMG_1541643826619.jpg

Dear Prayer Warriors,

Thank you for praying and reading. Anna is doing good, she’s healthy and joyful. Praise the Lord for the large number of healthy days Anna has had.

In writing the previous update, I remember praying about what to write because all acute medical problems remain away from us.  The topic ended up being about believing God for full healing and praying through unbelief. The following day I was attacked by vivid thoughts of Anna’s passing. Almost like our asking for full healing was only going to happen by her passing. The phrase “be careful what you wished for” kept taunting me. What fear gripped me for an afternoon. I remember crying out to God, pleading the protection of Christ over this spiritual attack. I knew I was being deceived and tempted to forsake God. I also was reminded to not covet healing through this experience. then God in His grace, reminded me of how many hardships He brought us through, and how He has placed Anna in our care for His glory and will always give us what we need to meet her needs.  

Today I wanted to share my experiences in training to become Anna’s caretaker officially. I completed the Certified Nurse Assistant program, thanks be to God. The state board exam is coming in early December. The journey included two ten hour shifts in a nursing home. So much of what the residents endure there challenged my faith. I have never thought much about end of life care and even less about what the nurses go through to meet the needs there. I was so impressed by the CNA I was training with, he had such a focus, professionalism, and sense of service (not bad for an 18-year-old).

On the sweet side, I had conversations with residents about God’s faithfulness through the years, I enjoyed hearing how some served Him so well. The reality of my experience was more about meeting basic needs, cleaning, and caring for 8 residents one after the other. So many call lights to follow up with. It made me think of how God responds to all of our call lights simultaneously, and how He replies graciously by giving to those who cannot repay Him. Perhaps my heart looked more like my Savior’s that weekend as I served those who could not pay me back. It’s a noble job to preserve dignity and “the image of God” in those with failing minds and bodies. Humility is a two-way street at the nursing home. I was thankful when it was over because it felt like something far removed from my goal of taking care of Anna. In thinking about it some more, I do give the same care for Anna that I did for the old folks: I dress her, bathe her, lift her, reposition her, feed her, and change her diapers it just seemed so different.

On my way to class one day, I heard a pastor on the radio respond to a caller asking him how she can know if her special needs brothers are saved. I wrestled with this thought probably two years ago regarding Anna and never considered what the pastor suggested. In the simplest of ways, he referenced Hebrews 4:12 “For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” Without knowing the specifics, the pastor said “read the Bible to them.” And from within me came the conviction to reprioritize this in my time with Anna. So please pray with me that the Holy Spirit would remind me to read the Bible to Anna that He would work through this seemingly little act to make anna rejoice in the God of her Salvation. I fully trust Jesus for her salvation and I cling to specific Bible passages regarding His provision of salvation for the lame. What a wonderful savior.
Please Pray for:
-the spiritual strengthening of our family devotion times now that I am home again at night.
-the continuation of good health and increasing ability for Anna.
-adaptive toys that would engage Anna to use her hands and eyes.
- the health of baby #3 as we enter the third trimester and for a safe delivery.
-a friend to come alongside her and spend time getting to know her.

Thanks in the name of Jesus,
The Currat’s

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nic, I always appreciate the way you share your spiritual journey. I was struck by your comment that you feared Anna would only be healed in heaven. I don't believe that God will take her sooner than He would have, just because you prayed for healing for Anna. But I do believe that NONE of us will ever be completely healed of our imperfections while we live on earth. Physical ailments are part of the human condition, as are psychological problems, because of humanity's fall from grace. God provides us the means we need to live with our ailments and/or flaws. Sometimes He even heals them. Our job is, as you said, to serve others and ease their afflictions, but also to praise God in spite of our trials. When we do that, we truly bring glory to God. You have tremendous faith, and I admire that. But for me, the idea that we will only be fully healed in heaven is not frightening. It is AMAZING. To think that we can one day shed our imperfect selves, and truly become perfectly like God, as He intended for us to be, is awesome.