Thursday, January 16, 2020

Anna's Saving Grace



Dear Prayer Warriors,

I got some daddy daughter time in on Monday as we headed up to Denver for two appointments. Anna let me sing all the way up. It was a time of devotion and worship. I was belting out all the old campfire songs full on loving God. It’s a wonderfully unique thing to bring Anna into my quiet time with God. My other kids want to do something else. But sweet Anna will listen to Scripture without objection, agree in prayer and let me sing. There are times when I sing that she joins me with her cooing and abstract vocal styling.

We established care with an orthopedic surgeon to discuss Anna’s hip dysplasia. Her femur comes in too straight into the hip socket which prevents a normal formation of the hip socket, ultimately leading to hip dislocation. He explained that all this is caused by Anna’s cerebral palsy (cp). 

The big revelation he made was that Anna is not in the spastic quadriplegic cp grouping (as diagnosed in paper) but rather the dystonic quadriplegic cp. This means that she has periods when her muscle tone relents naturally, whereas spastic is more of a constant flexing of those muscles. The doctor informed us that 95% of non-ambulatory (cannot walk) cerebral palsy kids develop hip subluxation (pre dislocation) requiring surgery. The majority of cases (80%) occur by the time the child is 5. The doctor said “Anna’s dystonic breaks in muscle tone is her saving grace.” I interrupted him, “Anna’s saving grace is far greater than that. we have seen miracles.” Perhaps the doctor was just using a figure of speech, he is right, her cerebral palsy could be so much worse. A softer disability would be a mercy from God rather than a saving grace.

When I think of God’s actual saving grace for Anna I think of the parable of the Great Banquet where those invited chose not to come, “Then the owner of the house became angry and ordered his servant, ‘Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.’” Luke 14:21. And more directly, how God promises that “the lame I will make my remnant.” Micah 4:7. Jesus extends salvation to Anna! Her saving grace and my saving grace are from the same source the Word. No merit of our own, just God's grace. Even before Anna and I left the appointment room I prayed for God to honor how provoked I was. I asked God to show miraculous grace in this situation. To bring healing to Anna’s hips noticeable in her next X-ray. And that she would be monitored closely for years and never be a “good candidate” for hip subluxation surgery and that the doctor would remember the greater saving grace that we brought to his attention that day. 

In faith I know that Jesus is the one taking care of Anna, He will heal, He meets her needs. Even when I haven’t read the latest medical journal on cerebral palsy and blindness I know Jesus has. Even though there is no special needs trust set up for Anna I know Jesus will meet all her needs. Even though there may be more surgeries I know Jesus will shepherd us. What a gift of faith Anna has become in the life of my wife and I.

Please Pray for:
-Numotion to call us regarding a stander, gait trainer as we are still waiting.
-my private insurance to accept my doctor and therapist forms to see if they will pay for a platform lift, they have to be submitted through a lift construction company that they approve. the company I talked to doesn’t submit to insurance.
-full healing of Anna, including from an acute respiratory illness she has been dealing with for about ten days.
-the right night nurse willing to work 4 nights a week. Right now we just have 2 days covered.
God’s got us,
The Currats
 (the Pic is of Anna's dedication) 

No comments: