Sunday, May 23, 2010

Spring Semester Finish

ust waking up and wanting to let you know how God is ushering my life onwards. My days working overnight are numbered! I will either be working at the new store or my store manager said she would put me in her store to work dayshifts come the beginning of June. The advantage would be at the new store, however either one is a blessing. I know God richly blesses my life with favor, so either way: praise God for offering a way out. I have a sizable time off request that might prevent me from transferring we'll see.

School is a steep, downward slope and i'm the skier at the top of the hill tired from all the other runs leading up to this one, but still has to do just one last descent on a double black diamond to be able to go home. Can we pray for navigating those choices in the next two weeks. I have a community analysis paper on Cicero due. A humble ten pager on history, politics, commerce, public outreaches of this little town.

I have another ten page ethnography report due. This is a befriending of someone who serves as a gateway to understanding their life experience as a minority/marginalized/alternative lifestyle. They introduce me to a sub-culture or a community I would otherwise have no place being in (they give me street cred) IE: homelessness, illegal immigration, gangs, Latino slums. It is an assessment in "felt needs" do drive a more intensional ministry meeting the people one by one, in their struggles rather than providing a temporary escapism "church" experience. Pray for my guy, our relationship: his name is Juan. He's first generation American parents from Mexico raised all his childhood in Mexico despite being born here. Then moved to Cicero in high school unable to speak any english got his girl pregnant and has been working on average 70 hours a week in an entry level job to support this family for about 15 years now. He's 32 now and feels so stuck without any time to pursue an education. Judging by the tattoos there's been some gang stuff in his life that he hasn't opened up to me about. He loves his kids. My first formal interview with him is tomorrow, although i work alongside him everyday.

I got three assignments that are past due collecting dust so i need to start typing them and stop this.. Blessings in the name of Jesus. Who is so full of love. Many thanks for your prayers, I am grateful and eager to pray for you too, let me know of any specifics.

I wouldn't push my prayer requests upon you if i didn't need the power of unified prayer. I do. I believe these requests are in accordance to God's will and i have faith that they will be answered to show Jesus as victorious. So thank you for those who do pray about my matters. It sounds selfish, but I'd rather be covered in too much prayer than none. I've been reading 1 John and chapter five and the end of four; it was just a call to arms to fight the good fight and remain in assurance of the love found in Jesus.

I'm doing this follow-up e-mail because my evangelism and apologetic's class is going to Little India. On Sunday we're doing about 5 hours of street evangelism to people of Muslim faith. This is the largest community of Pakistan and India natives in Chicago. Funny that they live side by side here sharing the same chai joints. Moody's been doing this for years and has had only one significant scuffle where police stop by. I don't know why but that comforts me that there aren't many. My teacher said: "We spent time evangelizing to the broken, the careless urban dweller indifferent to religion, all in downtown settings. Now we are sharing our faith people who believe very strongly in theirs. In a community that is heavily shaded in Islam's shadow, where Jesus is a best a good example." Could we pray for good weather, God's will and timing.

No comments: