Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Love for the Brokenhearted




Dear Prayer Warriors,


Not to brag, but I just got done with a hot date, we held hands over the table, outlasted the tables around us, and shared a rack of ribs. We made each other laugh a bit, we talked about our relationship with the Lord, and our impressions of the changes in us. It was much needed. We exchanged which parts of our day reminded us of Simon. Mine was ordering the pizza for our babysitters. Call me cheap but I always ordered carry out instead of delivery. Now I’m glad because I have dozens of memories with Simon watching the pizza chefs and picking up those savory pizza. I confess I never had a quarter for the dusty gumball machine in the corner that he always requests we try. Maybe I’ll get a gumball next time in Simon’s honor. Also, I remember, along the way, Simon always offered his list of “top 5 best pizzerias”. The local chain Blackjack’s was always at the top! Whether it's Blackjack’s or date night, there is joy in the journey with or without Simon because God encircles me with His love. 

 

I haven’t written much about being brokenhearted. It’s true I am; my heartbreak is losing my son. On his new album, TobyMac wrote about the loss of his son. One of my favorite lyrics is “God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” The Bible says God is near to the brokenhearted. Since He is near me, I desire to listen carefully. Not just focusing on the mourning or on the moving forward, but right now, in these moments and days. What is God using in my circumstances to minister His love to me?

 

 

 This weekend it was church! I caught up with a lovely couple sitting in the row in front of me minutes before church began. I hadn’t seen them since the beginning of summer -they didn’t know. I saw their hearts break as shock hit their face and I shared my loss. I was caught off guard because most everyone I know, knew. I couldn’t help but weep as the service started. They said “We got no words!” I said, “Thanks, I will see him again.” We shared joyful nods. Then my buddy who I was with proudly stated “It might be soon too.” Expressing our hope in Christ’s return. To me, my friends' add-on at the end was akin to God being near to my broken heart. Sadness comes and then a blessed thought swoops in just because God loves me and cares. Praise the Lord! It was refreshing to think that God could reunite me to Simon without passing through death, wow. I took it as a great encouragement, and worshipped in tears as the service began. It was fitting that we sang the song with the lyric I wrestled with last month “He’ll never let me down.” Literally God is not letting me down out of His arms. Jesus is close to this broken heart!

 

But there was more for this broken-hearted father to glean during that church service. We listened to our shepherd choose to preach the Word amid his trials. His weeks have been ladened with difficulty both for himself and his bride, yet he modeled staying in the Word and prayer to each of us. That’s his assignment from God, he did that just by standing up. The sermon convicted me of my walk with God, to respond and act. I was convicted of procrastination and its similarity to disobedience. If God puts something on my heart to do, I should do it! More precious still in Joshua 20 was the depiction of the Goel Haddam the avenger of blood. This description in the Old Testament points to Jesus in two ways, as redeemer (the Lamb) and avenger of innocent blood (the Lion). All this to say I was comforted, ministered to, and God drew near me as promised. 

 

It humbles me to think that as a couple, my pastor and his wife ministered to Lindsey and I when they did. They came to Simon’s hospital bed to speak life, pray and sing with us in the Springs and in Aurora. We also had another pastor and his wife do the same, and the children’s church leader. I know all the pastors and their families at my church served us, interceded, and showed caring selflessness. It reminds me of all you prayer warriors, praying during this long haul too. God uses His Church to be near the brokenhearted. Hallelujah.

 

Please pray for: 

-Wisdom and organization for the annual recertification of Anna’s Medicaid status on Monday. Lots to prepare, we are so blessed by this coverage. Every year they check to make sure she is still a spastic quadriplegic, visually impaired, epileptic, speechless girl… but God looks at the heart. Let’s pray for the day she would fail recertification!

-Renee. There has been this growing anxiousness in her shown by a clinginess and questions like “when will you be back?” Or “When will we wake up.” She will keep a nervous gaze while rubbing her blanket raw. Pray for her heart to be led by two parents who are patient, and observe well what she needs.

-Victor’s birthday and dedication to be a glorious event this Saturday. To envision Victor being born again and one day meeting Simon in heaven! Amen 

-Increased rest and strength for Lindsey as the demands of our days are many. 

-my writing projects. I was cut to the core at church when considering that I have been procrastinating on two things God laid on my heart to write about a year ago. May I put the football season on hold if I need to find time to write.  

-Pray for the Lord to overwhelm us with His love so we can love Him and others better. 

 

Thank you,


The Currats

No comments: