Monday, March 29, 2010

Servicio en la Ciudad

Service in the city was a blessing to be a part of. I went to "la villita" also known as little village and more endearingly still: The Mexico of the Midwest. The claim to fame is its uncanny resemblance to Mexico city for a radius of about two miles. I was placed there, not my choice, so I feel even more like asking God: why send me to La Villita? What's my application, what is God telling me? Porque la Villita?

We subdivided into small groups to hand out the food. We (Danny, Rick and Nic) delivered bags of food and presents to about 15 houses all of whom didn't speak english except for a "thank you". These were living spaces tucked behind the house on the streets. Clusters of unofficial residences, overpopulated studio apartments without windows, and kitchens where the bathroom sink should be.

We were timely, a lady praised the gifts because she had just returned from a funeral in Mexico and had no money for groceries. Rick was the go-to speaker. Danny's 11 years old and didn't speak english so I busted out my fragmented Spanish with him: "diga-me tu historias favorido de Jesus?" He opened up to me and was busy teaching me new Spanish vocabulary words. I called him professor and he lit up. The he told me that my Spanish reminded him of the white guy on some Mexican soap opera.

I came to the conclusion that if urban ministry in the United States is what God has in store for me. Then it is imperative that i become fluent on Spanish. I was told by well qualified urban ministers that immigration rights is the biggest civil rights issue in America today. the Bible says to treat the alien as our own. Yet this barrio (hood) is plagued with domestic violence, labor exploitation and unjust landlords all because if the victims call the authorities about any of this they will be deported. It is a dangerous, evil, entrapment.

We were at Nueva Vida: New Life Community Church that provides daily free internet for the community. Free fitness classes, after school program, english classes, addiction classes. I was proud to represent that church and I'm thinking of going to Spanish service there. One thing about the Latino community is there is much Catholic pride. I came upon houses that had stickers in the window with icon paintings of Mary and Jesus and it stated "We are Catholic and do not welcome Protestant solicitation of any kind." Much division there.

The Moody grad school reconvened at night over a meal and shared our experiences. People were saved, ministries were affirmed, hard workers for Christ were recognized and many communities were provided for with food.

Praise God for such a loaded attack on the city in His name.

No comments: