Thursday, June 3, 2021

God's Good Plans

 


Dear Prayer Warriors,

We had an impromptu Memorial Day parade down our street, complete with throwing candy and waving to the neighbors, it’s so much fun to dress up. We’ve had warm breakfasts, naps, wrestling, bubbles and much more since I have been home so much. Thanks for praying for our fishing trip, Simon and Renee were both thrilled to catch 2 fish each! I credit answered prayer, because I am not a good fisherman. I’m thankful my knots held up. Last night I watched a full playoff basketball game while scrubbing the upholstery, I can’t remember the last time I have done either. Also new to me was finding greater family devotional success one on one at bedtime than as a group. We are memorizing parts of Psalm 139 and praying it back to the Lord.

 

The blessing of being home so long illuminated the dynamics of my parenting. I don’t know how military families do it after a tour of duty. I noticed being home has turned me into a nag if the contributing factors are in place. I even found myself raising my voice with Renee when historically I am a creative, cool cucumber at discipline. I remember many times coming home from work and glossing over my bride’s reports of our youngest’s behavior. Well, that has come full circle and dear Lindsey has that “I told you so” expression when I tell her the latest story of Renee’s defiance. Being aware of all this means I can turn it into prayer, thank God we are all a work in progress. To paint a fuller picture, Renee is lovely and fun so much of the time!!

 

This coming Friday Anna has her 3-week post-surgery evaluation. They will take an x-ray and remove the zip-tie stitches. After that, Anna can have baths. We have had success this week with medication management, except one night we forgot a dose causing Anna to stay up till 5am. All in all things are moving in the right direction. 

 

Anna’s therapists have all been seeing her and encouraging her onward. We continue to challenge Anna to use the eye-gaze communication device. She enjoys being in front of it, making us do things for her. She really loves her pink flamingo. We are now up to 6 images on one screen at a time. This device has been such a gift for her recovery since we can’t take Anna out of the house. It was another special needs family that gave this device to us after the passing of their child who was learning to use it. That machine is very expensive and would have taken us many months and hoops to jump through for our insurance to pay for one. But by God’s grace we received it a month or two before her surgery. What gives me wonder is that in spite of her optic nerve atrophy and cortical visual impairment diagnosis' she can see enough to make the machine work.  She can’t track objects with her eye but she can use the device. It’s between her and God how much she can actually see. 

 

The Lord revealed something to me regarding the night nurse coverage we have been in need of for the last 3 months. In our Special Needs parent group on Facebook there was a lady sharing in a heartbreaking manner about being a single mom to a child of special needs and not having a night nurse to help. All the supporting comments were like “welcome to the club” or telling her how the nurse shortage has every home health care company on a wait list.  I paused, and said to the Lord. “I hope this lady gets a night nurse before we do.” I remember dreading the surgery time without a night nurse, but the Lord has seen us through it. So, who am I to get frustrated when there are others that have less support than we do? 

 

Please pray for:

  • the entire Colorado Springs area to be flooded with skilled nurses needing jobs and willing to work overnight. 
  • Anna and us to speak the communicative device language effectively. That the Lord would continue to bless her eyesight so she can share herself with others more.
  • God’s grace to be apparent to the surgeon through us and through the medical evaluation Friday. 
  • winsome shepherding of my children’s heart, seasoned with obedience, love and patience.
  • Guidance and wisdom as we transition and plan ahead for my return to work on June 10th. 

 

Thank you for praying,

Nic for the Currats

No comments: