Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Location, Location, Location

 


Dear Praying Warrior,

 

Upon my return from a hike with a friend, I took one glance at my bride and realized she was not given the same time, company, and space I had. Instead, after a largely sleepless night, she woke up and cared for our three kids while I had a time of fellowship and sunshine. It's a sacrifice she made because she knows how much it fills me up. But now, being back home, I endeavored to help in any way I could.

 

I felt the heaviness lingering even with my help. Lindsey shared with me, "you know there is literally a memory of Simon in every inch of our house."

 

 I replied, "yeah, for sure. Well, do you want to move?" 

 

Lindsey looked at me saying, "where, to heaven?"

 

I agreed that nothing else will do, but for now maybe something on the west side. Our exchange got me thinking about heaven some more. I was reminded of a verse I glossed over often and wondered if it would be a comfort to Lindsey. Its Ephesians 2:6 "And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus," I used to think that it means that right now I’m actually up there worshiping God and it’s a matter of faith to be able to see me doing it. Wouldn't that help Lindsey and I if we could literally see ourselves seated up there watching what Simon is up to? So why can’t I feel it? I’m not in that place at all, I can’t be in two places at once?

 

 I was clumsy with God’s Word. I didn’t understand what the author was trying to say, in reading some commentaries and seeing the context, this verse is the nectar of my being found in Christ. This verse says that we are so bonded in Jesus that His being at the right hand of the Father in heaven, places us there too. 

 

In the New Covenant, made by the body and blood of Jesus, God gives the Person of the Holy Spirit to the believer so that they become the temple that God dwells in on earth. What I’m now seeing from this verse in Ephesians is that it goes both ways. Since Jesus sits in heaven, so do I. Therefore, it’s not hard for me to imagine that Simon is making memories over every inch of heaven right now just like he did when he was down here.

 

This heavenly connection reminds me of an idea I read about that goes like this: when I pray, I am engaging in a two-way “phone call”. I may be on my knees in the living room next to the droppings of kinetic sand Renee left everywhere or at the feet of Simon’s bed thinking of loss, holding the motionless things that held his affections. That is my end of the prayer line, the other end of the line is the Throne Room in heaven:

 

At once I was in the Spirit, and there before me was a throne in heaven with someone sitting on it. And the one who sat there had the appearance of jasper and ruby. A rainbow that shone like an emerald encircled the throne. Surrounding the throne were twenty-four other thrones, and seated on them were twenty-four elders. They were dressed in white and had crowns of gold on their heads. From the throne came flashes of lightning, rumblings and peals of thunder. In front of the throne, seven lamps were blazing. These are the seven spirits of God. Also in front of the throne there was what looked like a sea of glass, clear as crystal.” Revelation 4:2-6

 

Being found in Jesus, in Heaven, means I ought to pray with worship! I should pray with eternal things in mind, at the very least I should be aware of God’s current whereabouts while I am tempted to unload from my end dark valley in comparison.

 

Lastly, I wanted to mention how powerfully God continues to speak to me even when I am going about my days. I have been on walks with Anna often at night while singing. A couple of nights ago God reminded me of this song below, I recalled each verse to my surprise, what words! It's as if the author had a 6-year-old boy who got bit by a snake and died but God continued to Shepherd him.

 

How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
is laid for your faith in God's excellent Word!
What more can be said than to you God hath said,
to you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?

2 "Fear not, I am with thee, O be not dismayed,
for I am thy God, and will still give thee aid;
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.

3 "When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
the rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
for I will be near thee, thy troubles to bless,
and sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

4 "When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
my grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply;
the flame shall not hurt thee; I only design
thy dross to consume, and thy gold to refine.

5 "The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose,
I will not, I will not desert to its foes;
that soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no, never, no, never forsake."



Praise God for:

-His great love and support through the Church. Thank you for your many prayers, generous giving, child care, and practical help. For your willingness to continue as we continue.

-Counseling being a help, pray for the application of what the Lord would want for us based on the counseling recommendations.

-Renee’s new bed. Bringing a new direction in the room they shared. she has yet to sleep in it but her excitement is wonderful.

-Anna’s new BI-PAP machine, we had been praying all year for a replacement after the recall, its here and she is doing great adjusting to it.  

 

Please Pray for:

-Lindsey’s retreat this weekend. For God to minister to her heart and feelings through the fellowship and openness of other mothers who lost a child and still praise God. We find ourselves getting closer to accepting our membership into the club of parents who lost children.  

-our general health. Victor, Anna, and Lindsey all seem off with various acute symptoms. Pray that the Lord would give us rest especially for Lindsey.  

-open or closed doors, wisdom to consider moving or not.

-a dream or vision from the Holy Spirit revealing Simon’s great heavenly disposition as a means to help us let go, if it pleases the Lord to do so.

Thanks, 

Nic, Lindsey, Anna, Renee, Victor

3 comments:

Scott Mckenzie said...

Much love to you all.

Donna Penna said...

Dear Nic and Lyndsey, I don’t know if this will help you or not but I thought it might help you to see some things more clearly. I saw this once on TV and it has helped me to accept things in a different way.
When someone asked a man why does God let bad things happen to good people? He answered very calmly and said God doesn’t LET things happen to good people. If you are walking on a sidewalk with your child and he falls down and gets hurt, you didn’t make it happen or let it happen. You bent down and picked up your child and gave him comfort. God’s promise was not that bad things will never happen to us or that He will let bad things happen to us. His promise is that He will always be with us when bad things do happen. And He will be beside us while we are in trouble.
I heard of you the night Simon got bit. I was visiting my niece in Denver. She has a friend who knows you and was calling about a prayer chain. My heart was broken for you. You have been on my mind ever since. I can’t even begin to imagine how horrific this has all been for you both. I will keep praying for you that God helps both of you to find some peace in the long journey ahead. Love and prayers, Donna Penna Pittsfield Massachusetts.

your friend, Nic said...

thank for sharing our burdens.