Sunday, August 21, 2022

My Prayer Helpers and Simon's Helper



dear prayer warriors, 


Thank you for your role in praying. I trust it's a humbling work keeping both your heart and mine soft and before the Lord in this incomprehensible trial.  In wanting to be a person of prayer, I'm quick to think of the IOU's the Currats have amassed through the years. It's humbling to think that I am prayed for more than I've prayed for you.  I know nobody sees it that way except for me, perhaps it's my pride wanting to play tit for tat. please know that if you have a burden for a prayer warrior in your corner, i'm your guy! Let me know how I can pray for you. btw men, i love praying over the phone with brothers on the regular. so if that is something you need call me!


"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people." Ephesians 6:18


It is my sincere desire that you are receiving a front row seat to God refining us through our loss of Simon so that it will serve and compel you in your valleys. God is the same, if He did it for me He will do it for you! I will continue to share our needs in prayer along with a slice of my heart so long as it pleases the Lord and glorifies Him. 


In the hospital days of Simon's life, I anguished at what my last words were to him. At the time, I didn't know Simon got bit,  I never saw the snake, I thought he saw a snake and ran over to me scared. Before he collapsed in-front of me there was about 30 seconds when he urinated in his shorts. "Well, if you're going to pee, just pull down your shorts." Said the father of the year. 


As I kept vigil at Simon's bedside late on the third night with a brother in Christ, we pleaded together for healing and I shared those last words with him. His response brought a needed mercy. "you didn't know it would be your last words. you were just being a dad." 


But God was there in the open space where Simon was bit and He inserted Dave into our situation. As I ran holding Simon with Renee not far behind me. I was yelling for help while pleading for Simon to keep his eyes open. Dave and his family live with their backyard facing the open space. Dave's son heard me and within minutes, Dave came around with his jeep and brought us out to the intersection where the first responders would treat Simon. 


Dave heard me cry out to Jesus, he heard me pleading with Simon while I held Renee on the bumpy ride out of the field. We got Simon out of his jeep and laid him on the ground, all throughout I was praying, inviting the Lord to rescue Simon. Dave was checking for a pulse, we heard the sirens approaching, the breathing was getting very shallow. About ten days later, Dave and I recounted our accounts of the event, I confided the story of my last words to him. He replied "no, no Nic. Those weren't the last words I heard, the last words to Simon that he was awake enough to hear was 'that's strength Son, good job keep breathing." that ministered sweetly to my broken heart. 


Dave and I continue to meet. He is a retired military person (who led soldiers) with time on his hands. He noted that he served in Afghanistan and was in several traumatic situations but never heard someone pray like I did that night. I don't say this for myself but because Simon's life changed people. He said he has neglected his prayer life, and needs to pray. Another thing he repeats often in our conversations was that he replays the events often, wondering where he could have done something differently. He wishes he could have done more, the situation that he chose to insert himself into didn't end well. When this comes up, I point out that he continues doing more to help by helping me and that he was brave to respond.   


I greeted Dave at Simon's funeral just before it started. The next time we hung out, he said "I didn't stay. It was too much.`` But instead of going home, Dave went to Pikes Peak Community college to enroll in EMT/paramedic school wearing funeral clothes. He hopes to find himself in situations where he will be used by God to bring back life. I told him that that honors Simon. 


praise God for:

-Dave and all the first responders who wanted to help Simon! 

-for the timeless mechanism of prayer drawing from our depths the will of God for His Kingdom come. What a loving, listening Father is my God.

-Anna's surgery for her teeth is scheduled for September 15th. not many months out like i expected!

-we have all returned to better health. 

-Lindsey has given me a good report of finding good time and space this weekend at her retreat. though there are many Eeyores attending the retreat. She has found playing hooky at times to be refreshing.   


please pray for:

-Dave as he starts school this week. For his family, he has three boys and a bride as they adjust to him as a student again. 

-our relationship to grow into a faith building one in Jesus.

-my return to work on Tuesday. I'm transitioning to 5 hour work days for two weeks.

-Lindsey. returning to school went from a sweet expectation with homeschooling Simon in the first grade back down to preschool with Renee.

-for wisdom and direction regarding Anna's school. We have been discouraged from applying to the school of the blind by their educator because Anna is too medically involved and because our hope was for attending only a few days a week. We enrolled Anna at the local elementary school and started the process to see if that school would be a good fit. 

-the celebration of Victor's first birthday on September 10th. It just so happens that our church is doing baby dedications that night so we are going for the twofer. This will be our first family celebration without Simon. May God give extra grace that day. 


praying in thanksgiving for all of you by name,


Nic





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lord Jesus we will never understand this but we still ask why just as Job did. We are broken and we need your healing touch. We surrender it all to you, knowing you love us, that you love Simon more than we ever could, that he is safely in your presence this very moment enjoying you and your presence beyond anything we can imagine. Help us, we've been left behind. Comfort us Holy Spirit as only you can. We greatly anticipate seeing Simon again just as we anticipate seeing you. Only then will our healing be complete. Help us to wait patiently for that day. Oh for the day when we will be reunited in your presence. We believe you have done, are doing, and will do that for us. We don't understand, but we make the deliberate decision to trust you through this as you are our only Hope.
Jim Rairdon
Indian Hills
Colorado

your friend, Nic said...

amen, thanks for sharing our burden