Saturday, August 13, 2022

Resurrection Power



dear prayer warriors, 


One of the first repetition projects I gave Simon at bedtime around the age of three was the "I am" statements of Jesus in the Gospel of John. I still have an audible in my brain of Simon saying "Jesus says I am da wezewekion and da life." followed up with a big smile. then i would add dramatic emphasis repeating the statement, and of course Simon would take it up another notch repeating the I AM statement even more dramatically till we both were laughing. Ever since my last update I have been encircling Jesus as the Resurrection and the Life. 


i can think of no greater time to take a close look and ask "do i really believe what i say i believe?" Do I understand the resurrection claim and continue to trust in it? 


In understanding the claim, Jesus said that He is the Resurrection and the Life in John 11 the story of Lazarus. Jesus made this "I AM" statement just before raising Lazarus  from the dead. The resurrection from the dead was physical there and life came back to Lazarus for the glory of God.   But Jesus is the resurrection and the life in the spirit world too. Romans 5 likens what Adam did spiritually for mankind in the negative, Jesus did spiritually for mankind in the positive. Adam brought spiritual death as a condition of mankind because of his sin. Jesus brought spiritual resurrection and eternal life back to mankind through His sacrifice on the cross. Therefore Jesus shows us that He is the resurrection and the life both physically and spiritually. 


Jesus's physical resurrection from the dead for believers is promised upon Christ's return (1 Thessalonians 4:16).  Jesus's spiritual resurrection from the dead for all of mankind is promised upon faith in Him (Colossians 2:13). for me i became spiritually resurrected and alive on November 10th 2006. according to the Bible i was spiritually dead and unable to please God before that day (Hebrews 11:6). whoa. 


I continue to trust in Jesus's resurrection. This is where the death of Simon has been a watershed moment because the resurrection includes so many implications. Jesus rose from the grave after being dead for three days with an incorruptible body that still had the wound marks he suffered, it was His bones, skin, and all brought to life again. In my last update I talk about how the disciples seemed to have their hole filled with Jesus resurrected. their joy in seeing Jesus again turned their sorrows for laughter. their faith became sight. 


so when i replay Simon dying and the week long arrival of death in our midst. as the lamenting continues and I scrounge around for my thankfulness gloves weeping at a memory too precious. It's as if I am stuck in the moment. like i have suspended all that Christ did for me because of the attention death wants from me. The only thing I can think of comparing it to is the moment in Revelation 5:1-5. where John (who believed Jesus was the Messiah, who attended the transfiguration of Jesus, who saw the death and resurrection of Jesus) this same John is now in heaven taking account of the events before him. and he starts weeping as someone with no hope. 



"Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals. And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, “Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?” But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it. I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside. Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.”" Revelation 5:1-5. 


The whirlwind of death as unraveling as it feels at times has me weeping and forgetting Jesus' resurrection like John in the Throne Room. but the Holy Spirit in me is the elder reminding John there is a Triumphant One."


This week, recollecting the Resurrection of Jesus and its promise of glorification has been like the words of that elder to John in the Throne room of God. the elder was like "Remember your buddy Jesus, it's Him!" 


It's only because of Jesus that I will see Simon again. thank you Jesus. 


praise the Lord for: 

-His Word being a lamp unto my feet in this valley of death. 

-His Church building us up.

please pray for:

- the resurrection of Jesus and all its implications to become the hope I cling to in this loss. 

- thankfulness for Simon Emmanuel to remain fresh for every last detail of him. 

- boldness in humility. At church, I was encouraged to think that trials are an opportunity to be bold, to tell others about Jesus. that led me to think upon my return to work starting on the 23rd. pray with me that i would have a prepared phrase to give when the condolences are given to me, i work with about 150 people that all know what happened. There were a dozen of my coworkers that attended Simon's funeral. I'm looking for a simple reply for "I'm sorry for your loss." 

-my relationship with renee. for less ultimatums and more grace. I was putting her down tonight and she was so awake doing her familiar protests and me doing my familiar consequences. and mom had to come and separate us. it doesn't help that we share a room but, these are exceptional times.



hopeful in Jesus' resurrection,


Nic for the Currats



No comments: