Monday, February 1, 2010

Cool is Jesus on the Inside

I had a phone call with my five year old nephew that is fixated with things that are cool, his list included: "A wallet chain, torn jeans, snowboarding, da Bulls, and a mohawk." (He's right about the Bulls). I was working the angle that those things are all on the outside and what's really cool about people can only be found on the inside. He insisted by naming people who were cool and the tricks they could do on a skateboard. I dropped the lesson of what a downward spiral it is to work at looking cool to gain the approval of others. A great "chasing after the wind" if i'm not mistaken. I then tried to bring Jesus into the conversation but the words coming out were so like weird and forced, kinda like a tract to an unbeliever. Isn't it hard enough keeping a phone conversation interesting with a 5 year old (almost 6)? As much as God wants to be in relationship with my nephew, I feel like i was pushing the issue, -Like God's counting on me to save the kid: God doesn't need me to accomplish His will. So instead of thumping scripture at my lil'shortie man Martin, I considered it a lesson for myself. Doesn't God commission us and so when the Spirit moves within isn't it generally effective, gentle and fluid? Not robotic, bullhornish or forced. So I gave up and talked about gnarly-ness.

2009 is gone and so is my steam heat. My apartment is froze. I have to wear a coat and a winter hat when doing the dishes. Only in my bedroom is the temperature tolerable. I've let myself get irritated and mad about this because i'm not dwelling comfortably. What about the homeless on these single-digit nights? Satan must tempt their anger with the cold way worse then me. And i so easily gave in to bellyaching, I'm still kinda doing it by this mention here. So I let the Cicero Bible Church know and they're sending someone out. I feel like i get to know more of that church the more my apartment needs repair. The last three times its been a different church member fixing the problem.

That church is historic, big and beautiful the congregation is made up of the faithful fifty certainly sad. It has a radio broadcasting booth from back in the day and a classic southern looking sanctuary.

Chistmas was a blessing, New years was a blessing probably the best one ever!! except for the one when i was like 7 watching Wonder Woman on tv waiting for midnight. I had my front tooth hanging by one last root so when Wonder Woman would spin around to change into uniform, i would spin my tooth at the same time, and it wouldn't hurt as much. It came out that very night. As for this last one I took my lady to see the Jersey Boys. (best musical ever). Then we took a ferris wheel ride in sub 0 weather. And fireworks, reflections, shrimp/catfish, and a thirty dollar cab ride because i forgot the el to my place stops running during late night.

No comments: