Monday, February 1, 2010

Mobbin' 3 Deep with the Compassion Shorties

Meet two of my closest friends at Moody: due and past due. Pray for this mental blockage I have going on. God is busy restoring me! It doesn't help that i've been sick, concentrating is hard when you're running a fever. I don't remember procrastination being such a part of me. Thanks for praying!! I'll let you know how it goes.

I roll up on time to the Moody dorms at 10. I'm waiting for the Compassion kids (who are my age now) to come down so we could go shopping. Five minutes go by and still nothing. Then they called me and said "come up we are having tea." -I was looking to do this favor and get on with my day.- So I went up, had that creamy Kenyan tea. After 45 minutes the last member of our group arrived. He had some tea and a pancakes too, then we were off to Kohls.

Big "up's" to my bro and his family to let me borrow "the griswald" (his station wagon). (This trip was the highlight of my weekend). I got to take the Compassion International kids (who are on scholarship at Moody) winter shopping. I had Uganda behind me, Bolivia in the other back seat and Kenya was my co-pilot. I showed them a picture of my Compassion kid and I told them I wrote to him yesterday. They were pleased. "It makes such a big difference to the kid." Jimmy said.

Dude these guys aren't even accustomed to shopping. -let alone for winter clothes. Jimmy was like "yeah i saw snow for the first time the other day." I asked him what he thought. He said: "yeah, it was good. it covered everything. I was surprised, everything. I thought i could walk on it but i fell through." Philip commented "shopping in America must take forever there's so much choice."

They kept asking me "is this what i need for winter?" As they hold some hunting gear with ear flaps. They would open the packaging of sealed long-johns to size them up. (I would have stopped them if we were at Target). Jimmy had these huge skiing gloves and asked: "I have to have these. Or i will go cold." I told him they were for skiing or snowball fights. I showed him the slick, leather city gloves; but he compromised on some double thick fleece ones.

They got a gift certificate from Compassion and after they went through the line I saw they had like $70 on the card left. And he's hands it to me saying: "Here bro i will buy those bowls for you." Suddenly the $15 matching bowl set i selected didn't seem like a needed purchase. I told the cashier i changed my mind and didn't want them. I thanked Jimmy for the gesture. I felt i needed to see my money more in the the way they see money. As a gift, to steward goodness and meet needs -I just need 4 fully functional bowls; not Kohl's latest expansion on their greatest-cutest-pleasant slow-glazed ceramic bowls with a fringe that is to die for.

So i don't have matching bowls at my place. It was 2:30 by the time we got back and they asked me if they could cook for me. I was hesitating but then Jimmy said "Come on Nic you are on African time today." So I obliged and enjoyed some tasty fresh Kenyan food (collard greens sautéed with ground beef and onions over rice).

He's in a long distance relationship, a much longer distance relationship than me. I was comforted by this and his stories. He said daughter-in-laws and mothers in his country fight lots. Because the son takes care of the mothers until marriage. "They bring their mother sugar every week." So his girlfriend steals the sugar from his mother.

No comments: