Monday, February 1, 2010

Outreaches Reaching Out to Unbelievers

Grab ahold of your seat belts and hang onto yer cowboy hats. Moody is now in session. Spring is in the air (semester that is). And we're kicking the outreaches off with a bang. That's right. We're going to the Pacific Garden Mission next week. One the oldest and biggest homeless shelters in Chicago. It is famous because that is were the hugely popular preacher Billy Sunday came to faith or so the statue reads back in early 1900's. Now its home to many especially during the winter season. So about 30 of us are going a week from today. I'm so excited about it I just was hoping we could start praying for it now. We're going to have a service, then split up by gender for some one on one listening time, then some testimonies, then a time of acoustic worship and wrapping things up with prayer one on one. Gods gonna be there, to teach me something new, win some souls and blessblessbless.

Also my reason for joining the urban studies track at Moody is two fold. One, given the redeeming of my past I have a broken heart for mental hospitals and the spiritual warfare therein. But two, is homelessness. Ever since I saw third world poverty first hand, i've been crying out to God about injustice -even as an unbeliever. So please pray for a stirring within me regarding my calling. That God would use the PGM to plant a firm vision to how i can be used for his purpose. Plainly put, I don't know the wonderful things he has for my life. But i'm super stoked for that ride!!

So my classes are a hit. Urban anthropology is focusing on Chicago we're gonna learn first about the history, social structures, multiculturalism, politics, demographics. Then we get to plug that into a community analysis, sub-culture and/or ethnic group evaluation of our own choosing within the city. Highlighting the needs of others is the goal, to give way to effective ministry/vocations objectives.

On my first day of class I decided I wanted to become friends with this one guy in my class. He asked me what class I was going to next and I told him Evangelism and Apologetics. He got psyched: "Dude that's the best class. People get saved in that class. How many classes can you say that people got saved in!!. I'm gonna be praying for you and that class." I was floored at his enthusiasm, he was just so pleased to hear about souls being won for the Lord. My prayer for that class is that I would experience and grow in faith so much that I would be like him by the end of it. Just sold out for the cause of Christ encountering people. Where's my zeal for that now?

Well I got to get to the laundry, errands and homework done. Please pray for my relationship with my lady Lindsey its tough being apart and communicating well at the same time. Also my month old niece has been going in and out of the hospital with fevers and illness, Its been rough (on her parents too) hearing stories of what Doctors have to do to diagnose the problem. With added prayer maybe little Sylvie could get a healthy diagnosis from the Lord instead. So cute that baby.

Blessing and continuation in the love that Jesus has,

No comments: